Walters Arts Museum, 600 North Charles St., Baltimore, Maryland, August 2009. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
The arts in Maryland reflect the State's geographic and cultural diversity from traditional Appalachian fiddle music in Western Maryland and African-American quilting on the lower Eastern Shore to experimental performance and media arts in metropolitan Baltimore and areas surrounding Washington, DC. The arts industry represents some $634 million in the State's economy, fueled by an audience of nearly 10 million each year.
Main Building foyer, Maryland Institute College of Art, 1300 Mount Royal Ave., Baltimore, Maryland, April 2012. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
Paintings, photography, and sculpture, along with special presentations of film and music are presented in Maryland's many museums.
Arts institutions of national prominence, such as the Baltimore Symphony, are found in Maryland. Regional interdisciplinary arts institutions offer professional and amateur productions, and over 30 schools and academies are devoted to training young artists. Some, like Baltimore School for the Arts (a public high school) and the Peabody Institute of The Johns Hopkins University, give public performances.
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, 1212 Cathedral St., Baltimore, Maryland, July 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
Colleges and universities in Maryland host touring art exhibits, dance and theater troupes, soloists, chamber music groups, and orchestras. Among these are the Distinguished Artist Series of the U.S. Naval Academy; and art exhibits at the Elizabeth Myers Mitchell Gallery, St. John's College, Annapolis.
School 33 Arts Center 1427 Light St., Baltimore, Maryland, October 2007. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
Through the Maryland State Arts Council, State government supports the performing, visual and creative arts. These include dance, drama, music drama, architecture, painting, sculpture, graphics, crafts, photography, design, film, television and creative writing. The Council also helps administer the Arts-In-Education Program which funds artists who work or hold workshops in public schools to supplement the school curriculum. At the county level, local arts councils are active, such as the Frederick Arts Council at Frederick, and the Queen Anne's County Arts Council at Centreville.
Fell's Point Corner Theatre, 251 South Ann St., Baltimore, Maryland, December 2008. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
Fish Out of Water, Baltimore Public Art Exhibit
Mural of bumblebee, ladybug, and grasshopper in garden, Fleet St. (near South Caroline St.), Baltimore, Maryland, April 2008. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
, May 2016
Sunderland, Calvert Arts Festival, May 2016
Sykesville, Fine Art and Wine Tasting Festival, May 2016
- Annapolis, First Sunday Arts Festival, May-Nov. 2015
- Baltimore, Sowebo Arts and Music Festival, May 29, 2016
- Bethesda, Bethesda Fine Arts Festival, May 14-15, 2016
- Havre de Grace, Decoy and Wildlife Art Festival, May 2016
- Leonardtown, Chesapeake Bay Waterfowl Arts Show, May 2016
- Mount Airy, Caribbean Wine, Music & Art Festival, May 2016
- Ocean City, Spring Arts and Crafts Show, May 2016
- Oxford, Fine Arts @ Oxford
- Columbia, Cross Currents Summer Festival, June 2016
- Frederick, Frederick Festival of the Arts, June 2016
- Mount Airy, Vine Rewind Retro Wine, Music & Art Festival, June 2016
- Ocean City, Art's Alive, June 25-26, 2016
- Baltimore, Baltimore Artscape, July 15-17, 2016
- Easton, Plein Air Competition and Arts Festival, July 2016
- Mount Airy, Reggae Wine, Music & Art Festival, July 2016
- Westminster, Common Ground on the Hill Hill's Roots Music & Arts Festival, July 2016
- Bel Air, Bel Air Festival For the Arts, Sept. 2016
- Catonsville, Arts and Crafts Festival, Sept. 2016
- Dowell, Artsfest '15, Sept. 2016
- Havre de Grace, Fall Harvest & Crafts Festival at Steppingstone Farm Museum, Sept. 2016
- Hyattsville, Downtown Hyattsville Arts Festival, Sept. 2016
- McHenry, Deep Creek Lake Art & Wine Festival, Sept. 2016
- Ocean City, Labor Day Weekend
Art & Craft Festival, Sept. 2016
- Point of Rocks, Art at the Point, Sept. 2016
- Annapolis, Art@the Park 2015 – Quiet Waters Park, Oct. 2016
- Baltimore, Madonnari Arts Festival, Oct. 2016
- Baltimore, Open Studio Tour, Oct. 2016
- Bel Air, Harford County International Plein Air Art Festival, Oct. 2016
- Bethesda, Bethesda Row Arts Festival, Oct. 2016
- Centreville, Annual Artisan's Festival, Oct. 2016
- Columbia, Columbia Festival of the Arts, Oct. 2016
- Gaithersburg, Sugarloaf Crafts Festival, Oct. 2016
- Mount Airy, Autumn Reggae Wine, Music & Art Festival, Oct. 2016
- Timonium, Sugarloaf Crafts Festival, Oct. 2016
© Copyright October 29, 2015 Maryland State Archives