DEPARTMENT OF GENERAL SERVICES

FUNCTIONS


[photo, 301 West Preston St., Baltimore, Maryland] The Department of General Services provides professional and technical services for the design and construction of State public improvements (except for those of the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, the Department of Transportation, Morgan State University, St. Mary's College of Maryland, and the University System of Maryland). The Department manages, operates, and maintains State government facilities; assesses all State-owned facilities; and manages their renewal funds. Using its expertise in lease negotiation, contracts, bidding, and real estate transactions, the Department supports the acquisition and disposal of any State interest in real property.

301 West Preston St., Baltimore, Maryland, November 2003. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


For State-owned or leased facilities, the Department develops master plans and, for materials, supplies, and equipment used by State agencies, manages centralized procurement. For State agencies, the Department provides and oversees printing, publication, duplicating, photocopying, graphic design, typography, and graphic art; centralized inventory standards and control; and records management. The Department also manages the Maryland State Agency for Surplus Property.

OFFICE OF SECRETARY

301 West Preston St., Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

Appointed by the Governor with Senate advice and consent, the Secretary of General Services is chief executive officer of the Department. The Secretary sets policy, promulgates rules and regulations, and manages Department programs and services. The Secretary also develops and oversees the budgets of the Department and its boards, commissions, and offices.

The Secretary of General Services advises the Board of Public Works and State government agencies on all public improvements and engineering matters (Code State Finance and Procurement Article, secs. 4-403 through 4-406). At meetings of the Board of Public Works, the Secretary presents the Department's portion of the Board's agenda. The Secretary also serves on the Board's Procurement Advisory Council.

Besides chairing the Government House Trust and the Maryland Green Purchasing Committee, the Secretary also serves on the Governor's Executive Council; the Governor's Council on the Chesapeake Bay; the Smart Growth Subcabinet; and the Maryland Subcabinet for Public-Private Partnerships. The Secretary also is a member of the Asbestos Oversight Committee; the Board of Directors, Bainbridge Development Corporation; the Commission on Climate Change; the Coast Smart Council; the Commission on Correctional Standards; the Maryland Food Center Authority; the General Professional Services Selection Board; the Maryland Green Building Council; the Hall of Records Commission; the Maryland Advisory Council on Historic Preservation; the Interdepartmental Advisory Committee for Minority Affairs; the Council on Open Data; the Pricing Committee for Blind Industries and Services of Maryland; the Pricing and Selection Committee for the Employment Works Program; the Procurement Advisory Council; the Commission to Modernize State Procurement; the Interagency Committee on School Construction; and the Governor's Commission on Small Business.

Within the Office of Secretary are two Deputy Secretaries and offices for communications, emergency management, legal, and legislative affairs.

Under the Secretary, the Department is organized by six main functions: Administration; Facilities Operations and Maintenance; Facilities Planning, Design, and Construction; Maryland Capitol Police; Procurement and Logistics; and Real Estate.

DEPUTY SECRETARY

301 West Preston St., Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

The Deputy Secretary advises the Secretary of General Services, performs special assignments, and shares responsibility with the Secretary for managing the Department. The Deputy Secretary also assists the Secretary with the work of the State Board of Architectural Review and the Procurement Review Board.

OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS
The Office of Communications started in March 2003, when Governmental Affairs and the Public Information Office combined to form External Affairs. In July 2008, External Affairs reorganized as the Office of Communications and Marketing, and in September reformed as the Office of Customer and Business Relations. In July 2013, the Office adopted its present name.

For the Department, the Office provides customer services and public information services.

OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
In December 2014, the Office of Emergency Management transferred from the Office of Secretary to Maryland Capitol Police.

The Office is the Department's liaison with the Maryland Emergency Management Agency and the Governor's Office of Homeland Security. The Office maintains the Continuity of Operations Plan, which provides for the delivery of essential departmental services in any emergency. In a natural disaster or civil emergency, these services might include engineering support, public works recovery, and debris management.

LEGAL DIVISION
The Legal Division is responsible for court cases, reviewing and preparing contract documents, and providing legal opinions. It oversees assistant attorneys general assigned to Real Estate. The Division also represents the Department before the Maryland State Board of Contract Appeals.

DEPUTY SECRETARY OF ENERGY


ADMINISTRATIVE DIVISION

The Administrative Division was established in April 2003 to oversee Fiscal Services, Information Technology, and Personnel. From Logistics, the Inventory Standards and Support Services Division moved to the Administrative Division in May 2006.

Today, the Division is responsible for five units: Capital Grants and Loans; Fiscal Services; Human Resources; Inventory Standards and Support Services; and Technology Management.

FISCAL SERVICES

301 West Preston St., Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

Fiscal Services started as the Office of Administrative and Fiscal Services and reorganized in 1991 as Fiscal and Contract Services. In 1993, it became the Fiscal Services Division. Formerly under Finance and Administration, the Fiscal Services Division transferred to the Office of Secretary in July 1999. As Fiscal Services, it moved under the Administrative Division in April 2003, and reformed as Budget and Fiscal Services in May 2007. It assumed its present name in September 2011.

The Department budget is managed by Fiscal Services, which also provides accounting services to the Department and for statewide capital construction and maintenance administered by the Department. Accounting policies, procedures, and internal control standards are formulated and monitored by Fiscal Services.

INVENTORY STANDARDS & SUPPORT SERVICES DIVISION

301 West Preston St., Room 1301, Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2308

The Inventory Standards and Support Services Division originated in 1977 as the Inventory Management Division (Chapter 970, Acts of 1977). It became the Inventory Standards and Support Services Division in 1992. As Inventory Standards and Support Services, it was placed under the Materials Management Division in 1996. It reorganized as a division again in 1997. In June 2005, the Division moved under Logistics. In May 2006, it transferred to the Administrative Division.

The Division manages the use of State government property and plans and controls inventories of State materials, supplies, and food items. To minimize the cost of maintaining inventories, it establishes investment standards and controls for government agencies. The Division issues policy guidelines and regulations and provides technical assistance to State agencies on inventory controls, planning, storage, and distribution. It manages physical inventory, personal property disposal, and the Department's Fleet Management Program. The Division also oversees the Automated Fuel Management Program which has 87 refueling sites statewide dispensing gasoline, diesel fuel, motor oil, and alternative fuels to some 12,000 State agency vehicles.

MARYLAND STATE AGENCY FOR SURPLUS PROPERTY
P. O. Box 122, Brock Bridge Road, Jessup, MD 20794 - 0122

The Maryland State Agency for Surplus Property acquires for sale or other purposes federal and State surplus property. Surplus State property is available for sale to government agencies, nonprofit organizations, or the general public. Federal surplus property is limited to eligible donee institutions. The Agency is a self-sustaining public service.

Inmates from Jessup correctional facilities who are in the pre-release program are offered training and jobs by the Agency. The prisoners are taught wood refinishing; reupholstery; automotive repair; and general construction and maintenance. The Agency also coordinates with other State agencies such programs as the distribution of surplus federal blankets to homeless shelters, and surplus federal computers and educational equipment to local school boards. Surplus State property formerly was transferred to a State warehouse prior to sale, but in 2008, began to be auctioned on-line.

Organized in 1947, the Agency was established by Executive Order in 1955. Formerly under the University of Maryland, the Agency joined the Department of General Services in 1987 (Executive Order 01.01.1987.19). In 1996, it was placed under the Materials Management Division and, in 1997, under Finance and Administration. In 1999, it became part of Facilities Operations and Maintenance. In April 2003, the Agency transferred to Procurement and Logistics, and became responsible for the Records Management Division in August 2003. In June 2005, the Agency moved under Logistics and in April 2008 under the Inventory Standards and Support Services Division.

TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT


FACILITIES OPERATIONS & MAINTENANCE

Central Services Building, 29 St. John's St., Annapolis, MD 21401

In 1995, Facilities Operations and Maintenance was established to separate operations and maintenance from planning, engineering, and construction. Throughout the State, this office oversees operations and maintenance of the 59 facilities plus twenty regional district court/multi-service centers for which the Department of General Services is responsible. These facilities, totalling nearly 6 million square feet of space, include the three State office centers at Annapolis and Baltimore (Preston Street Complex and Inner Harbor Complex).

Under Facilities Operations and Maintenance are five divisions: Annapolis Public Buildings and Grounds; Baltimore Public Buildings and Grounds; Inner Harbor; Multi-Service Centers; and Operations.


ANNAPOLIS PUBLIC BUILDINGS & GROUNDS DIVISION

[photo, Central Services Building, 29 St. John's St., Annapolis, Maryland] Central Services Building, 29 St. John's St., Annapolis, MD 21401

The responsibility to care for State buildings in Annapolis dates to 1862 when the Governor was authorized to appoint custodians (Chapter 15, Acts of 1862). These duties devolved to a superintendent who, in 1970, headed the Office of Annapolis Public Buildings and Grounds within the Department of General Services (Chapter 97, Acts of 1970).

The Annapolis Public Buildings and Grounds Division operates, maintains, and secures the State Office Center in Annapolis. Some twenty-seven State-owned buildings encompassing over 2 million square feet on 49 acres of landscaped areas and 24.5 acres of parking lots are overseen by the Division. The buildings house approximately 4,700 State employees and elected officials. The Division also maintains Government House and other historic buildings, including the State House, the Old Treasury Building, and Shaw House. In addition, the Division cares for the Crownsville People's Resource Center and the Crownsville Day Care Center in Anne Arundel County.

Central Services Building, 29 St. John's St., Annapolis, Maryland, January 2001. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


To preserve facilities and equipment, the Division provides both preventive and routine maintenance; makes major repairs, alterations, and improvements; and supplies equipment and materials to maintain the State Office Center. A special police force and guards provide 24-hour security.

BALTIMORE PUBLIC BUILDINGS & GROUNDS DIVISION

301 West Preston St., Room 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

The Baltimore Public Buildings and Grounds Division originated in 1958 when responsibilities for State buildings in Baltimore were assigned to a superintendent (Chapter 40, Acts of 1958). In 1970, these duties were delegated to the Office of Baltimore Public Buildings and Grounds when the Department of General Services was established (Chapter 97, Acts of 1970). By 1979, the Office was called a division.

The Baltimore Public Buildings and Grounds Division is responsible for the operation, maintenance, and security of four State-owned buildings in Baltimore City. They include the Herbert R. O'Conor State Office Building, 201 West Preston St.; 300 West Preston St.; 301 West Preston St.; and 2100 Guilford Ave. From November 2003 to October 2007, the Division also assumed responsibility for the Inner Harbor State Office Complex, which includes the William Donald Schaefer Tower, 6 St. Paul St.; the Nancy S. Grasmick State Education Building, 200 West Baltimore St.; 310 West Saratoga St.; 311 West Saratoga St.; and the Rosemont Center, 500 North Hilton St. These buildings transferred in October 2007 to form the Inner Harbor Division.

For facilities and equipment, the Division provides both preventive and routine maintenance, major repairs, alterations, improvements, supplies, and housekeeping services. The Division's special police and building guards offer around-the-clock security. The Baltimore State Office Complex houses some 3,700 State employees and includes 17 landscaped acres, and 19 acres of parking lots. The Division also maintains the four acres of the Maryland Vietnam Veterans' Memorial.

INNER HARBOR DIVISION

The Inner Harbor State Office Complex originated in 1986 as the Saratoga State Center Division. The Division reorganized in 1992 as the Central North Public Buildings and Grounds Division and became the Inner Harbor State Office Complex in 1994. In November 2003, the Complex joined the Baltimore Public Buildings and Grounds Division. In October 2007, the buildings comprising the Inner Harbor State Office Complex transferred from the Baltimore Public Buildings and Grounds Division to form the Inner Harbor Division.

The Inner Harbor Division oversees eight State-owned buildings in Baltimore City and Howard County: the William Donald Schaefer Tower (6 St. Paul St); the Saratoga State Center (310 & 311 West Saratoga St.); the Nancy S. Grasmick State Education Building (200 West Baltimore St.); the Public Defender's Building (201 St. Paul Place); and the Hilton Heights Community Center (500 & 530 North Hilton St.). In Howard County, the Division also oversees the Jessup State Complex at 7275 Waterloo Road. Some 3,000 State employees work in these buildings, which contain over 1.3 million square feet.

At the Jessup facility, the Division provides both preventive and routine maintenance, and oversees the contractual provision of some maintenance tasks and services. At the Saratoga State Center, the Division provides preventive and routine maintenance, repairs, alterations, improvements, housekeeping, and security services for facilities and equipment. The Division also supplies maintenance equipment and materials.


[photo, District Court/Multi-Service Center, Ritchie Highway, Glen Burnie, Maryland]

MULTI-SERVICE CENTERS DIVISION

Carter M. Hickman District Court/Multi-Service Center
120 Broadway, Centreville, MD 21617

The Multi-Service Centers Division was established in January 2000 as the District Court/Multi-Service Centers Division, and received its present name in November 2003. It consolidated oversight of fifteen multi-service centers totalling over 1.5 million square feet, which were formerly the responsibility of several divisions.

Currently the Division is responsible for twenty district court/multi-service centers with more than 1.7 million square feet, 52 acres of landscaped area, and 23 acres of parking lots. The Division also oversees the Woodstock Center.

George M. Taylor District Court/Multi-Service Center, Ritchie Highway, Glen Burnie, Maryland, January 2001. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


FACILITIES PLANNING, DESIGN, & CONSTRUCTION

301 West Preston St., Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

Facilities Planning, Design, and Construction began as the Office of Plant Management in 1971 to oversee State buildings and grounds in Annapolis and Baltimore. The Office reorganized in 1974 as the Division of Plant Management under the Office of Engineering and Construction. By 1979, the Division joined the Office of Facilities Acquisition and Management, which became the Office of Facilities Management by 1985. Renamed the Office of Statewide Facilities Maintenance in 1989, it reformed in 1993 as Facilities Planning, Engineering, and Construction. At that time, Facilities Operations and Maintenance assumed oversight of government buildings and grounds. In January 2001, the Office became Facilities Planning, Design, and Construction.

Facilities Planning, Design, and Construction is responsible for Information Management, the Project Cost Center, and three divisions: Construction and Inspection; Maintenance Engineering; and Project Management and Design.

MANAGEMENT INFORMATION
301 West Preston St., Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

In 1981, the Management Information Division was created as a program under the Project Cost Center. The program was elevated to a division under Facilities Planning, Engineering, and Construction and assumed its present name in 1994.

The Capital Projects Database is developed and maintained by the Division on the Department's AS/400 computer system. The Database links scheduling and budget information for capital projects, and reports on their progress throughout design and construction. For Facilities Planning, Engineering, and Construction, the Division provides information on active, inactive and completed projects. In addition, the Division produces annual reports for the Department, and helps management staff use computer software applications and hardware operations.

PROJECT COST CENTER
301 West Preston St., Room 1402, Baltimore, MD 21201

The Project Cost Center started in 1970. It provides architectural engineering and construction services in the cost management of major and complex building and related facilities projects. For the Department of Budget and Management, the Center reviews and revises capital budget requests from State agencies, including estimates analysis, conceptual design, and coordination. It also supervises value engineering procedures of in-house personnel and consultants to assure that capital projects over $10 million stay within their budget; prepares the Department's capital budget; and represents the Department at legislative budget hearings.

CONSTRUCTION & INSPECTION DIVISION

301 West Preston St., Room 1212, Baltimore, MD 21201

Origins of the Construction and Inspection Division date to 1970, when the Construction Supervision and Inspection Division formed. Renamed Construction Management and Assessment Division in 1992, the Division became Construction and Assessment in 1993, and later that year the Construction Division. In 1996, it received its present name.

The Division inspects and supervises private contractors as they alter, renovate, or construct State buildings. By monitoring their work, the Division ensures that construction conforms to approved designs and specifications.

MAINTENANCE ENGINEERING DIVISION

301 West Preston St., Room 1402, Baltimore, MD 21201

Created in December 1998, the Maintenance Engineering Division assists the Secretary of General Services in implementing maintenance management services for all State-owned facilities. The Division helps develop policies and procedures; establish, supervise, and review maintenance and repair programs for all public improvements; and resolve engineering problems. The Division also manages the capital and operating budgets for maintenance; hazardous materials projects; and critical maintenance projects under Program Open Space.

PROJECT MANAGEMENT & DESIGN DIVISION

301 West Preston St., Room 1405, Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

The Project Management and Design Division came into being in 1970 as the Design and Approval Division. Renamed Technical Services in 1991, it reorganized as the Engineering and Design Division in 1992. Under its present name, it assumed duties of the Project Management Division, and the Public School and Community College Construction Division in 1996.

The Division prepares all project documents required to construct and renovate State facilities. It oversees the work of architectural and engineering firms in preparing construction documents; reviews those documents at programmed stages of development; administers the construction bidding phase of the project; and advises the Construction Division during construction of any technical changes that occur.

To maintain State-owned facilities, the Division sets standards; assesses the condition and management practices of each building; and, for most facilities, reviews and verifies the funding needed for maintenance. For Facilities Operations and Maintenance, the Division performs special consulting services. In addition, the Division administers two programs: Community College Capital Improvement, and Public School Construction.

Community College Capital Improvement Program. For community colleges, the Division reviews design documents of each State-funded project, and master plans for the facilities of each institution and program.

Public School Construction Program. For public school construction, the Division reviews requests from each local education agency, participates in public hearings, and reviews design documents for all public school projects receiving State funding. It recommends which projects should be authorized for construction bidding.


MARYLAND CAPITOL POLICE

301 West Preston St., Suite L-100, Baltimore, MD 21201

The Maryland Capitol Police began as the Department of General Services Police. Formerly within Facilities Operations and Maintenance, the Department of General Services Police became an independent unit in April 2003. In July 2008, the agency adopted its present name, and in October 2015, it was established by statute (Chapter 302, Acts of 2015).

Through its Annapolis and Baltimore Detachments, the Maryland Capitol Police provides security for the Annapolis and Baltimore State Office Centers, encompassing 30 State buildings, 10 parking garages, and 16 parking lots. Further, the Police operates the Maryland State Identification Card Program. In 2008, the Maryland Capitol Police also was authorized to make arrests and enforce laws anywhere within 1,000 feet of State buildings and grounds in Annapolis and Baltimore (Chapter 549, Acts of 2008). In October 2015, that jurisdiction was extended to 1,000 feet in any direction from the boundary of any State multiservice center (Chapter 302, Acts of 2015; Code State Finance and Procurement Article, sec. 4-601).

ANNAPOLIS DETACHMENT

The Annapolis Detachment provides security to nineteen buildings, including the State House, the Revenue Administration and the Goldstein Treasury Buildings, as well as the Lowe House Office Building, the James Senate Office Building, and the Miller Senate Office Building. In addition, the Detachment oversees five parking garages and eleven surface parking lots. The Annapolis Detachment is responsible for public demonstrations held on State property and coordinates traffic enforcement and other security matters with the Department of State Police and the Annapolis Police Department.

BALTIMORE DETACHMENT

The Baltimore Detachment provides law enforcement and security for eleven buildings, six State parking lots, and four parking garages in Baltimore City. It also has concurrent jurisdiction for traffic enforcement. The buildings include 201, 300, and 301 West Preston Street, the Fifth Regiment Armory, the William Donald Schaefer Tower, the Public Defender Building, Saratoga State Center, 200 West Baltimore Street (Nancy S. Grasmick State Education Building), 2100 Guilford Avenue, 500 North Calvert Street, and 201 St. Paul Street.

PROCUREMENT & LOGISTICS

301 West Preston St., Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2305

In 1970, Procurement and Logistics began as the Office of Central Services. The Office reorganized as Services and Logistics in 1991, and as Procurement and Logistics in 1995. It separated in July 2001 into Procurement and Contracting, and Logistics and Special Projects. Their merger in April 2003 again formed Procurement and Logistics.

Procurement and Logistics is responsible for the centralized procurement of architectural and engineering services; commodities; construction services; energy; and facilities maintenance, including contracts for the design and construction of certain State facilities. Commodities include a wide range of goods, from vehicles and their parts to burial liners for veterans cemeteries to HIV testing kits. Such contracts amounted to more than $130 million in FY2013. Further, Procurement and Logistics oversees the Automated Fuel Management Program and State records management.

Procurement and Logistics is assisted by the General Professional Services Selection Board.

BOARD OF PUBLIC WORKS ADMINISTRATION
Board of Public Works Administration originated as the Contract Services Division under Finance and Administration. The Division was renamed Management Support and made part of the Procurement and Contracting Office in 1993. In April 2003, it transferred to Procurement and Logistics. In March 2005, it was renamed Board of Public Works Management Support, and in December 2008 assumed its current name.

All capital project bidding is overseen by Board of Public Works Administration, which prepares and distributes the Department's action agenda to the Board of Public Works. The unit also prepares and distributes the agenda of the Procurement Review Board. Monthly, the unit compiles a Procurement Agency Activity Report that describes transactions approved by the Procurement Review Board.

RECORDS MANAGEMENT DIVISION
P. O. Box 275, State Records Management Center
7275 Waterloo Road (Routes 175 & U.S. 1), Jessup, MD 20794 - 0275

Authorized in 1953, the Records Management Division originally was administered by the Hall of Records Commission (Chapter 436, Acts of 1953). In 1984, the Division moved to the Department of General Services (Chapter 286, Acts of 1984). In August 2003, tt was placed under the Maryland State Agency for Surplus Property, and in June 2005 under Logistics.

The Division manages the records of all departments and agencies of Maryland State government and helps prepare retention and disposal schedules for those records. By law, no public records of State agencies can be destroyed without scheduling and the prior approval of the State Archives.

At the Central Records Center in Jessup, the Division stores inactive State records, which must be retained for specified periods of time to meet State legal and administrative needs. The Division also coordinates the Forms Management Program and the forms management plans of each department or agency to minimize the number of forms needed. In addition, to all State agencies, the Division offers cost-reimbursable microfilm services, including both source-document and computer-output microfilming (Code State Government Article, secs. 10-631 through 10-634).

OFFICE OF BUSINESS PROGRAMS
The Office of Business Programs originated as Minority Business Enterprise, which became the Office of Business Enterprise in January 2005 under Procurement and Logistics. The Office transferred to the Deputy Secretary in February 2008, and back to Procurement and Logistics in December 2008. At that time, the Office of Business Enterprise merged with Technology and eMaryland Marketplace to form Business Enterprises and Technology Services in December 2008.

Within the Office of Procurement and Contracting, Technology was established in June 2000. It moved to Procurement and Logistics in April 2003, and reformed as Technology and eMaryland Marketplace in March 2000. With the Office of Business Enterprises, it merged to form Business Enterprises and Technology Services in December 2008.

In July 2012, Business Enterprises and Technology Services restructured as the Office of Business Programs and moved to the Office of Secretary. In May 2016, the Office moved back to Procurement and Logistics.

The Office of Business Programs oversees departmental procedures and policies for procuring supplies, services, maintenance, architectural and engineering services, and construction contracts. The office also monitors procurement contract performance to ensure compliance with State law. To secure at least fourteen percent of both total contract dollars and number of procurements for certified minority business enterprises, the Office conducts outreach activities within the minority business community (Code State Finance and Procurement Article, secs. 14-301 through 14-308).

Support and training for the Advanced Purchasing and Inventory Control System (ADPICS) is provided by the Office of Business Programs. ADPICS replaced the Central Automated Purchasing System (CAPS) in 1995, and was designed as part of the statewide Financial Management Information System (FMIS), an integrated management information system. Many procurement and inventory functions were automated by ADPICS, allowing government agencies to report procurement and inventory data, as well as process procurement requests, electronically.

From March 2000 to January 2012, and since July 2012, this office also has been responsible for eMaryland Marketplace, an Internet-based procurement system.

PROCUREMENT

Within Procurement and Logistics, procurement units were placed under a Director of Procurement in December 2003, and Logistics formed as a separate office in June 2005. In September 2015, the offices combined to form Procurement and Logistics.

Procurement is responsible for Commodity Procurement and Facilities Maintenance; and Construction Contracting.

COMMODITY PROCUREMENT & FACILITIES MAINTENANCE
In 1920, Commodity Procurement began as the Central Purchasing Bureau (Chapter 184, Acts of 1920). The Bureau was placed under the Department of General Services in 1970 (Chapter 97, Acts of 1970). In 1993, the Bureau was made part of the Procurement and Contracting Office. The Bureau was placed under Procurement and Logistics and renamed the Commodity Procurement and Purchasing Bureau in April 2003. Later, in 2003, it reorganized as Commodity Procurement, and in January 2012 under its present name.

Commodity Procurement and Facilities Maintenance purchases all materials, supplies, and equipment used by State agencies. Annually, it buys over $150 million worth of commodities ranging from office supplies to medicines and food items.

State agencies must submit requisitions to Commodity Procurement and Facilities Maintenance for all purchases, except exempt commodities or those costing less than $1,000. The requisition identifies both the commodity and quantity requested. The commodity may be ordered through an open-ended contract developed by Commodity Procurement and Facilities Maintenance, bid through Commodity Procurement and Facilities Maintenance as an individual requirement, or ordered as part of its scheduled purchase program. Emergency procurements can be made by an agency whenever the purchase is necessary to preserve human life or State property (Code State Finance and Procurement Article, secs. 4-301 through 4-315).

In January 2012, Commodity Procurement and Facilities Maintenance became responsible for procuring all building services for State-owned buildings. Contracts are made for a variety of services, including carpentry, janitorial services, mechanical equipment, painting, pest control, plumbing, and security.

CONSTRUCTION CONTRACTING
Construction Contracting started in December 1993 as Facilities and Construction Contracting. In 2003, that agency was restructured as two separate units: Construction Contracting, and Facilities Maintenance Contracting. To support State facility construction and renewal, the unit arranges for architectural, engineering, and construction services.


REAL ESTATE

[photo, 300 West Preston St., Baltimore, Maryland] 300 West Preston St., Room 601, Baltimore, MD 21201 - 2308

In July 1978, Real Estate was formed by the Department of General Services. This office coordinates the State's real estate activities and long-term strategic planning for the acquisition and disposition of leased and State-owned real property.

300 West Preston St., Baltimore, Maryland, December 2000. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


Legal counsel is provided to Real Estate by assistant attorneys general, who prepare and review leases, contracts of sale, deeds, easements, rights-of-way, and real estate transaction documents. They acquire title insurance and ensure the accuracy of title and property descriptions. To other State agencies, assistance is provided with interagency transfers or agreements, and joint acquisitions of property.

Under Real Estate are four units: Land Acquisition and Disposal; Lease Management and Procurement; Portfolio Management; and Valuation and Appraisal.

LAND ACQUISITION & DISPOSAL

Land Acquisition and Disposal began in 1969 as the Land Acquisition Division of the Department of Public Improvements (Chapter 403, Acts of 1969). The Division joined the Department of General Services in 1970 and became Land Acquisition and Disposal in 1991. In 1995, functions of Land Acquisition and Disposal merged with Lease Management and Procurement. In 1998, they were made separate units.

Land Acquisition and Disposal purchases, leases, and disposes of real property for all State agencies (except the Department of Transportation). From 1996 to July 2011, the office also oversaw the Program Open Space unit.

LEASE MANAGEMENT & PROCUREMENT

For State agencies, Lease Management and Procurement oversees the acquisition of commercial real property for use as State offices and procures leases of real property (Code State Finance and Procurement Article, secs. 4-318 through 4-321). Formed in 1998, this unit conducts surveys of State requirements for leased space, sets standards for the allocation and assignment of leased and State-owned space, and approves space modifications. The unit ensures landlord compliance with the federal Americans with Disabilities Act and oversees alterations of leased facilities. In addition, the unit negotiates certain concession agreements and makes recommendations to the Board of Public Works on the need for State office space construction.

PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT DIVISION

Central Services Building, 29 St. John's St., Annapolis, MD 21401

The Portfolio Management Division formed in July 1998 under Finance and Administration. In July 1999, the Division transferred to the Office of Secretary, and in 2000 moved under Facilities Operations and Maintenance. In May 2016, it moved to Real Estate.

The Division provides services ranging from fiscal management and long-term planning for Department capital assets to analysis of marketplace opportunities. In addition, the Division devises measures and tools with which to assess Department functions and processes.

VALUATION & APPRAISAL

Created in 1992, Valuation and Appraisal is responsible for matters of real estate valuation for all State agencies, except the Department of Transportation. The unit obtains and reviews independent appraisals of properties to be acquired by State government. It also evaluates appraisals for capital grants and loans, the Maryland Agricultural Land Preservation Foundation, and disposal of State real property assets. In addition, the unit conducts staff appraisals and special studies.

Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us


This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright September 12, 2016 Maryland State Archives